HOW TO QUIT YOUR JOB THE RIGHT WAY
Photo by SeventyFour
Are you thinking of leaving your job? Do you feel tempted to storm off in a huff, never to return? Please, contain yourself! Whether you are moving for personal reasons, or have accepted a new position, transitioning away from a position can be an awkward and difficult task. There are ways to make this challenging situation easier!
Below we have compiled a list of boxes to check to ensure that you leave your job in the best way possible. Remember, you never know when you’ll need your boss to submit a professional reference for you, or to network for you, so it’s imperative that you leave on happy terms. Following these 21 tips will impress your peers, and bosses will be left with a positive impression of you as a professional. Read on!
- Write a two weeks notice letter
- Don’t tell your colleagues about your plans before you tell your boss
- Tell your boss in person
- Be mindful of what you say
- Keep it positive, or neutral
- Keep it brief
- Offer to help with the transition
- Don’t burn bridges
- Be ready for the unexpected
- Say goodbye to coworkers
- Finish strong
- Help prepare training materials for your replacement
- Train your replacement
- Express gratitude toward your mentors
- Give 100% through your last day
- Be confident in your decision to move on
- Wish everyone well when you leave
- Cultivate lasting relationships
- Show gratitude to the people who deserve it
- Clean up your office, desk and computer
- Don’t have any emotional outbursts
Don’t you feel more reassured now? There’s no need to panic because leaving your job doesn’t have to be difficult! By following these 21 tips, you will ensure that you leave on good terms, with a superb reference, and be welcome back to the company should you ever need to return.
So remember, maintain your composure and follow these tips to quit your job the right way!