33 TIPS TO ADVANCE YOUR CAREER
Photo by Ihar Ulashchyk
Do you ever feel like you’re stuck in your career? It often happens to people when they’ve been working at the same place for many years.
You may be watching others advance, while you stay in the same position. On the other hand, maybe no one has been promoted for a while. Regardless, there are things you can do.
If you feel that you want to climb the career ladder, it’s going to take some effort on your part. Of course, the goal is to do it sooner rather than later. That way, you benefit faster from higher pay, better hours, and a new title.
How do you advance in your career? Here are 33 tips to help you get that promotion:
1. Commit yourself to advance your career
2. Create your career development plan
3. Dare to ask for what you want
4. Make your boss look great
5. Build and expand your network
6. Give time, attention, and more to your network
7. Expand your skillset
8. Embrace new challenges at work
9. Seek out a mentor
10. Join a professional organization
11. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have
12. Get more confident
13. Ask what to do to get a promotion
14. Work on goals that matter
15. Maintain focus on results rather than time
16. Develop conflict management skills
17. Build powerful negotiation skills
18. Be curious about your industry
19. Ask for explicit feedback
20. Read books about your profession, industry and skills you want to improve
21. Improve your communication skills
22. Dare to take the risk
23. Be someone who people want to work with
24. Be the best and always try to become better
25. Find a better job
26. Demonstrate initiative
27. Be positive in all you do
28. Ask for help, and help others
29. Say yes
30. Say no
31. Don’t forget your people skills
32. Don’t be shy and promote yourself
33. Improve your LinkedIn profile
You can see that there are many ways to advance your career. Some of these options are going to give you faster results. However, they are all designed to improve your skills and help you succeed.
Sometimes, the only thing you can do to get a promotion is to leave the company. There may be no room to grow, or the business could be on the verge of shutting down. The point is not to let fear overcome you. Step out into the world and get what you deserve.