30 QUESTIONS TO ASK IN AN INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW
Photo by info79577
One of the best ways to get a feel for a job and a company without interviewing for an actual position is to line up an informational interview. You can find out whether you have what it takes to make your career in that industry by asking the right informational interview questions. Here are 30 questions to ask to get the most out of your informational interview.
- Why did you choose this career path?
- Why did you decide to work for this company?
- What does the ideal candidate for this role look like?
- What are the best ways to prepare for this role?
- Do you more often work individually or as part of a team?
- Describe a typical work day for this role
- What do you enjoy most about the job?
- What do you like least about your job?
- What are the major components of your job on a daily basis?
- What are the major frustrations of this job?
- What kinds of problems do you deal with?
- What kinds of decisions do you make?
- What part of this job do you personally find most satisfying?
- What part of this job do you personally find most challenging?
- What aspect of your job do you ﬁnd most rewarding?
- What skills or talents are essential to being effective in your job?
- How do you continue your professional development?
- What are the advancement opportunities?
- What is the best career advice you’re received?
- How do you see this job changing in the next 10 years?
- What do you like most about this company?
- What can you tell me about the corporate culture?
- Is there flexibility as far as work hours, or working offsite?
- What is the dress code?
- How does your company differ from its competitors?
- Are you optimistic about the company’s future and your future with the company?
- What does the company do to contribute to its employees’ professional development?
- What do you like most about working in this industry?
- What do you dislike most about working in this industry?
- Who else would you recommend that I speak with about this career?
If you want to hone your interview skills, sign up for our online video course “How To Ace A Job Interview.”