HOW TO MASTER THE PHONE INTERVIEW
Photo by rawpixel
Do you think that the interview is the first step to getting your dream job? If so, think again. Many companies now start with a phone call. You may speak with the HR manager, a recruiter, or the hiring manager. Sometimes, you’re going to talk to multiple people at once.
Instead of brushing up on your handshake and deciding what to wear, you have to focus first on speaking clearly and giving excellent answers.
With the modern world of hashtags, texting, and social media, phone conversations are seen as a lost art. However, you can master this essential skill with a few basic tips and some planning.
Before you dial in, be prepared to sound professional to that potential employer. Here are 19 tips to get you through the call:
- Take the phone interview seriously
- Pick the right time and day
- Confirm the scheduled time
- Set a professional voicemail in case you can’t answer your phone
- Prepare for it in the same way that you would for an in-person interview
- Consider possible interview questions
- Have a copy of your resume, cover letter and job description in front of you
- Charge your phone
- Find a room with no distractions
- Consider dressing in a professional way to feel more confident
- Answer professionally
- Be an active listener
- Maintain a friendly yet professional tone
- Speak clearly—don’t talk too quickly and don’t ramble
- Smile over the phone as it creates a positive impression
- Take notes
- Ask about the next steps to express your continued interest in the role and the company
- Send a thank you email
The tips mentioned above can help you get through any call—even the awkward, challenging ones. Just remember to relax and stay confident. Your goal right now is to convince the interviewer that you are perfect for the job without seeing them in person.
If you wish to hone your interview skills further, sign up for our online video course “How To Ace Your Next Job Interview.”