WAYS TO MAINTAIN SELF-ESTEEM WHILE JOB SEARCHING
Photo by Burst
Can’t get a job? Feel like a failure? Searching for a job is tough. And it can impact your self-esteem. When you first start your search you might feel full of hope and excitement for all of the new possibilities! It is important to keep up this momentum by using your free time to improve your skills and confidence. It might start to seem hopeless when things don’t work out right away. Don’t let a few rejections get you down- try to hold onto that initial enthusiasm. A bumpy job search can lower your confidence, which can make your search even harder.
Check out the following tips on how to break this vicious cycle and keep your self-esteem high during these tough times.
- Practice positive self-talk
- If you’re not working, take advantage of it to engage in professional development
- Update your industry knowledge
- Network with people in your field
- Get out from in front of the television
- Get into a daily routine
- Learn a foreign language
- Interact with other job seekers
- Identify your weaknesses, and work on them
- Be a role model of positive attitude
- Create a comforting and productive environment
- Ignore your inner critic
- Build a positive self-image
- Acknowledge yourself
- Eat well and exercise
- Cut negative people from your life if possible
- Cultivate positive relationships
- Try a new hobby
- Spend time with your family
- Find alternative sources of income
- Pursue your passion
- Seek encouragement from others
- Challenge yourself
- Don’t give up
- Believe in yourself
We hope you can use these pointers as a lifeline when it feels like you are swimming up-river searching for a job. Perseverance and confidence are key. You might not get the first job you set your sights on. Sometimes it takes significant time and effort to really secure a new position.
Don’t give up on yourself! You’ve made it this far and you can use this time to work on your passions and strengthen your self-worth.