WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE ANSWER IN A JOB INTERVIEW
Photo by Dmitry Ageev
The scene: You’ve finally secured an interview for a position you’ve been coveting for months. You’re nervous but optimistic. Then the worst happens! Despite your thorough and intensive preparation, your interviewers have asked you a question you don’t know the answer to. You are terrified that you are all of a sudden out of the running for this job. Nobody is perfect and employers know that, but it’s important how you handle the situation. Fear not!
We at WeMeanCareer can help you prepare for this very moment! First of all, take a deep breath and try to relax. You need to stay in control because panicking is the exact opposite of what you should do. Below are some things you can do when you are faced with this worrisome dilemma.
- Take a deep breath and stay calm
- Don’t panic
- Don’t say, “I don’t know”
- Ask questions that could help you find the right answer
- Take your time before answering
- Don’t lie and don’t make something up
- Tell them how you would find the answer
- Tell your interviewer what you do know instead
- Try to redirect the conversation to a topic you’re confident talking about
- Know the right time to come clean
- Answer the question when you follow up with the interviewer
Should you be faced with a question you don’t know the answer to in an interview, don’t panic! Simply by reading this article you have taken a meaningful step in preparing for a very difficult scenario. You can do this! Just take a deep breath and think back to these tips, and you will surely impress your future employer and keep yourself in the mix for the job you want!