WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE ANSWER IN A JOB INTERVIEW
Photo by Dmitry Ageev
This is the moment every job candidate is dreading. No matter how much you prepared for the interview, there’s always that one question you aren’t ready for. You hear the question and your mind goes blank. You simply don’t know the answer to the question, and any attempt to fake it will only make matters worse. And worst of all, when you don’t know the answer to a question during an interview, the silence can seem excruciating and you might even wish the floor would open up and swallow you whole.
If you don’t handle this difficult situation with skill, you are most likely out of the interview process. Not to worry, though — this list shows you how to get through this tough moment with grace and how to stay in the game.
- Take a deep breath and stay calm
- Don’t panic
- Don’t say, “I don’t know”
- Take your time before answering
- Tell them how you would find the answer
- Don’t make something up
- Tell your interviewer what you do know instead
- Ask questions
- Try to redirect the conversation to a topic you’re confident talking about
- Know the right time to come clean
- Answer the question when you follow up with the interviewer
If you want to hone your interview skills, sign up for our online video course “How To Ace A Job Interview.”