HOW TO DEAL WITH A TOTALLY BORING JOB
Photo by rawpixel.com
So you’re bored at work? It happens! Every job has slow periods, but if you find yourself in the middle of a slump, there are steps you can take. If you aren’t ready to leave, you can try to make your work days more bearable. Whether you are in a mind-numbing desk job, or on a team that is underutilized, having downtime at work can be excruciating.
Below, we have compiled 17 ways to minimize your boredom. If that doesn’t work, it just might be time to find yourself another job. Good luck, and remember that all emotions are temporary, even boredom!
- Get rid of clocks, watches, and other time-keeping devices
- Identify what is most boring about your work days
- Offer your help when your coworkers are involved in new or difficult projects
- Take on more responsibility
- Spend time learning new skills that directly relate to your job or field
- Explore the possibilities of switching departments
- Finding subjects or subject areas that inspire you
- Take small breaks to stretch
- Keep your breaks interesting
- Go outside during lunch
- Plan healthy lunches
- Listen to music that motivates you
- Make your workspace comfortable
- Identify (legal) entertainment
- Work from home
- Find another job
Remember, leaving your company or jumping ship from the industry altogether shouldn’t be your first move. It’s within your power to make your job feel more meaningful or fun! If you are willing to put in some time and effort, all of the tips on our list should make your life at work more healthy and balanced.
However, if you have tried again and again to improve your professional life, and it just isn’t working, it’s likely time to change companies and move on. Better days are coming!