HOW TO DEAL WITH A DIFFICULT BOSS
Photo by Hunters Race
In an ideal world, we would all have great bosses. The reality is that most of us have experienced working under a terribly difficult one. It’s always frustrating when you have to go out of your way to accommodate the unpredictable issues your boss throws your way. It can be hard to know how to deal with this situation when the person you should go to for help is the person causing all of your problems.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to make the best of a difficult situation to get your job done. If you find that you are currently in this predicament, and for whatever reason need to stick it out, here are our top 15 suggestions for you!
- Make sure you’re dealing with a bad boss
- Identify your boss’ motivation
- Stop blaming yourself and your boss
- Don’t complain to your boss’s boss
- Talk to your boss and try to build a better work relationship
- Speak up and give your boss a chance to respond
- Try to see things through his or her eyes
- Don’t let this situation affect your work
- Identify what triggers your boss’s meltdowns and be extra vigilant about avoiding those
- Set boundaries
- Test different strategies
- Know their preferences and adapt to them
- Repeat back to your boss what they said and ask “Is that what you meant?”
- Don’t be intimidated, stand tall, never cower
- When looking for a new job, do your research ahead of time to make sure you’re not getting another bad manager
Try not to let your relationship with your boss define your job! Focus on the positive aspects of working in your current position. We hope these suggestions help you with your day to day troubles working under your boss.
These tips will hopefully improve your relationship with your boss, but it’s not always possible. While these might be good ways to cope with a difficult boss, in the long run it may be better to look for a new one.